SPUG: September 2010 Meeting Announcement

Bryce Baril vaticide at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 23:16:27 PDT 2010

   September 2010 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

   Topic: SPUG Perl Bake-Off
   Officiator: Bryce Baril
   Meeting Date: Tuesday, 21 September 2010
   Meeting Time: 6:30 - 8:30+ p.m.
   Location: Marchex - 520 Pike Street
      - Note: Our normal conference room is not available.  I am
working on finding us another room in the same building -- most likely
on the 20th floor.

   Cost: Admission is free and open to the public
   Food/Drink: Sorry, no food this time, but soda will be provided.
   Info: http://seattleperl.org/

=== DETAILS ===

SPUG, I challenge* you all to a live coding contest at the next SPUG meeting.

Yes, there will be prizes.

This contest is open to those of any skill level.  Don't be
intimidated -- if you think you'll need help we'll pair you with
someone who can provide some expertise.

One of my main goals with this experiment is mentoring.  I am really
hoping those of you who consider yourselves new to or rusty with Perl
to come and learn some new tricks, maybe a little "Modern" Perl from
some of our seasoned regulars.

Likewise if someone is planning on trying something interesting you
want to learn more about (e.g. Perl 6, MooseX::Declare, etc.) you can
try and team up with that person.

The rules of the contest will be this:

* Teams of 2(ish)
* The contest will be writing simple clients to play a game
* Your code will compete in the game directly against the other
participants to determine the winner
* Full details to be released at the start of the meeting
* It will use a simple web API
* Someone on your team will need a laptop (I will provide wireless best I can)
* No cheating

The team size (soft) max is 2 because I don't want to buy that many prizes.

The contest I've chosen is purposefully simple in order to try and
make it possible to create working entries with enough time to run the
tournament and present prizes at the end of the meeting.

Pre-Meeting
===========

If you are so inclined, please come to the pre-meeting at the nearby
Elephant & Castle pub on 5th & Union (see map link below). Come enjoy some
friendly conversation and perhaps a favorite beverage (they have a full
restaurant too). We can usually be found at the back under the TV near the
rear entrance that goes up into the hotel (if you enter through the front
doors, just go straight back past the bar). We'll be there from 5:00 pm to
6:19 pm.

Meeting Location
================

Marchex
520 Pike Street, Suite 1800
Seattle, WA  98101

The building is just East of Westlake Center. Enter from Pike Street.

 http://xrl.us/spugmap

Due to all of the shopping around us there is plenty of parking available
in garages, but it can be hard to find street parking in the evening.
There is also a parking garage in the building, but check the rates and
closing time (subject to change due to downtown events)!

Attendees will need to wait near the elevators in the lobby and a Marchex
employee will provide access to the 18th floor where the meeting room is
located. If no one shows up to let you in, call (425) 533-2964 to let them
know you're in the lobby.

Good Luck!
-Bryce

* I will be officiating, not participating.  I am writing the contest
server, after all.