SPUG: Announcing Seattle Tech Calendar (and who wants to maintain the current meeting on our wiki)

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Wed Oct 6 15:15:28 PDT 2010

On Oct 6, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Andrew Sweger wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Michael R. Wolf wrote:
>
>>   http://wiki.seattleperl.org/index.php/SpugMeetings#Meetings
>>
>> Is anyone interested in stepping up to maintaining this?  It would be

> But the sysadmin doesn't show it any love (the
> cobbler's children have no shoes). There's got to be a better way.

One solution: scrap the wiki entirely and go exclusively with Facebook and LinkedIn.

> Some kind of free hosted wiki/CMS in the magical cloud?

Apropos a CMS, is there any "C" that we really want to "M"?  If not, we can optimize the "S" out of existence as a "useless use of energy in a void context".

If anyone has reason to value existing Wiki content, let them speak now or forever hold their peace.  Really.  Let's have an "opt in" discussion about which pieces should live, else I suggest that we let it die.

Here's my piece.

The only content that I value is a list of past meetings (including abstract, speaker, etc) -- basically whatever went out in the email announcment.  I think that there's some value in the tribal knowledge being publicly viewable.  It shows that we're a solid mongerhood, and its a great source of ideas for future speakers, both at SPUG and in other mongerhoods.  When I'm looking at a new organization, the list of previous meetings is always high on my list of indicators into their credibility.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRWolf at att.net