SPUG: Summary of last night
Joshua ben Jore
twists at gmail.com
Wed May 19 09:53:43 PDT 2010
Hi, I was summarizing last night's meeting for someone and decided it
was a fine thing to just post to all y'all since most of you didn't
attend. The following syntax is Markdown.
A couple people are looking for work. Marchex is hiring.
== The Talk
I gave "three" talks and we went for beer afterward.
* Memory Efficient Perl - http://bit.ly/d0oM7u
* Extending Regular Expression Syntax - http://bit.ly/cVdldY
* The Mystery Talk - http://example.com
=== The summary of the talks are:
* perl is expensive in memory but can become cheap if you treat memory
like a C programmer.
* You can change the grammar used in your regular expressions through
controlled source rewriting. This /can/ be "ok" if you're only
changing the definition of easily parsed things like \w.
My favorite redefinition is changing \w to (?i:[-'a-z]) by applying
http://bit.ly/b5MwbA. I think possibly I would gag if I ever
encountered a use of this in the wild.
More information about the spug-list