SPUG: email addresses in the archives

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes sthoenna at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 21:40:16 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Meryll Larkin <mll at alwanza.com> wrote:
> I would prefer my email address not to be in the archives.  I would prefer
> that within my email address, my domain gets swapped out for "bogus.com" or
> something similar.
>
> I am less concerned about spammers than I am about trolls looking for
> targets.

?  I'm not sure I get what you mean by trolls.  Can you expand on that?

> If it can't be done easily because the list is hosted somewhere we don't
> control, then I'd rather have some (any) precautions taken than none - and
> if I understand correctly, those steps are already being taken?

It's hosted by the Perl Foundation; specifically these guys:
http://noc.perl.org/   If by "those steps", you mean replacing @ with
" at " in both header and body, yes.  If you mean something else, no.

Last I read up on it, that simple substitution eliminates almost all
spam (has this changed, anyone?) but if spam isn't your concern, I'm
not sure that helps you.