SPUG: Best practice? DBI connection parameters *not* in Perl code

Brian E. Lozier brian at massassi.com
Thu Apr 8 11:26:30 PDT 2010

Regarding YAML -- in my experience, the "YAML" module on CPAN is buggy
and can't properly handle complex structures.  This bit us and we
moved to JSON (this wasn't for configuration).  It should be fine for
simple config data (but may be a bit heavy weight for that).  See the
bug list: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=YAML

It's been suggested to use YAML::Syck, but that's compiling its own
huge list of bugs as well.  Depending on your deployment targets, you
may want to stick with a pure-perl solution, which, I believe,
YAML::Syck isn't.

I've used Config::Fast and Config::General and have been happy with both.

Brian