SPUG: Fwd: [Pdx-pm] Looking for developer(s) for a new project.

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Thu Apr 1 13:13:38 PDT 2010

I saw this on the PDX board, and found the technology and business
idea to be interesting enough to talk with Stephen, but ultimately
realized that I need to fill my paid-project pipeline before
committing more of my spare time.  Since telecommuting from Seattle is
as good as telecommuting from PDX, he asked me to repost it here.

If you've got extra cycles to devote to a pre-funded start-up, please
contact Stephen directly.

Enjoy,
Michael

P.S. If you've got extra, (funded) work to do, PLEASE CONTACT ME.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Stephen Howard <stephen at enterity.com>
> Date: March 27, 2010 10:15:22 AM PDT
> To: Portland Perl Mongers <pdx-pm-list at pm.org>
> Subject: [Pdx-pm] Looking for developer(s) for a new project.
>
> Hello fellow perl mongers,
>
> I’ve recently started a project via the Startup Weekend phenomenon,
> and find myself the only developer on a very cool team. I’d like to
> convince someone in the PDX.pm community to join me on the
> development end of things and really make this software rock.
>
> The project is called CluePad (www.cluepad.com) and we’re looking to
> use data culled from multiple sources (web crawling and the Google
> Analytics API for starters) to make simple-to-follow tips that small
> business owners can use to improve their websites in ways that help
> their bottom line. Right now the options for these small business
> owners are either to a) spend a lot of time learning and sifting
> through data on their own, or b) hiring someone on a pricy monthly
> retainer to handle it for them. CluePad would be a low-cost, low-
> time-investment alternative to both of these.
>
> We’re using Catalyst/Template Toolkit and DBIx Class for the site.
> The goal is to spin this into a profitable company, but there’s no
> money in it yet. I’ve got the first generation of the site built and
> am fine tuning it this week before we let in some early adopters.
>
> I’m looking for someone familiar with the modules above, and who is
> used to maintaining a test suite as a matter of course. Bonus points
> for being fluent with jQuery on the client side, or for experience
> with scaling and parallelizing data collection and analysis on the
> back end.
>
> This will primarily be a telecommuting project. If you’re interested
> we’ll have an initial period working together to see whether we’re a
> good fit for each other, and when that goes well we’ll have a
> discussion about equity.
>
> We've got over 30 people waiting to try the software out from some
> minimal pre-release marketing, and have a couple team members who
> are ready and able to get this in front of a lot more people in our
> target market.  This idea was also the winner at Startup Weekend
> Corvallis in December and the startup weekend folks are eager to put
> their muscle behind promoting our success.
>
> thanks,
>
> Stephen

Michael R. Wolf
     All mammals learn by playing!