SPUG: programmatically managing cookies

Joel Grow joel at largest.org
Fri Jan 9 10:45:23 PST 2009

Hi Perl gurus,

I'd like to programmatically access a password-protected site.  When I GET
the url, I receive back HTML with a javascript relay to a login page, and
a cookie.  I do have credentials for the site.  So I can POST my
username/password to the login page, but I need to manage the cookie the
site sets so that I can then be forwarded to the password-protected area.
Before I dive too deeply into this, does anyone have advice/pointers on
the best way to manage this?

(my problem would ultimately be solved by NY Times opening up their
article search API, which is "coming soon"...)