SPUG: Open Source Bridge -- June 17-19 in Portland

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Thu Feb 26 15:56:00 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 3:35 PM, Ryan Corder wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:37:16PM -0800, Michael R. Wolf wrote:
>> , and it's back to San Diego this year.
>
> San Jose.

Oops.  Thanks for the correction.  I had stored:
   $location_of{OSCON} =~ /San .* California/x;

I really *do* think in regular expressions.  Does anyone else?  It
often happens with names.

> I've never been to San Jose, but I can't imagine it will be as
> walkable as Portland.

It's no walkablet.  It's California.  I teach classes 1/4 mile from
the airport, but cannot walk there!!!  (Well, I did once, but not
twice.)  I love that I can walk across the street from SEA to meet a
ride at a hotel restaurant instead of waiting at the curb while they
wait in traffic.

It's not really California's fault.  The state grew up during our
national intoxication with making services so inaccessible that we
needed cars to solve the poor urban planning.

I overstate.  There is a good light rail.  You can get from SJC via
connector bus to the light rail, then into downtown San Jose.  Once
downtown, it's fairly easy to walk or bus to the convention center.

P.S.  Check out WalkScore.com, created by a small group of social
minded folks in the U District, but with national data.  My Ballard
location is 97.  I love that!

http://walkscore.com/get-score.php?street=98107&go=Go
http://walkscore.com/get-score.php?street=san+jose+ca&go=Go

The top 10 rankings include Seattle (#6) and Portland (#10), but not
San Jose.
http://walkscore.com/rankings/

--
Michael R. Wolf