SPUG: Fwd: Extended Tableau Trial Now Available

Michael R. Wolf michaelrwolf at att.net
Fri Feb 20 12:24:06 PST 2009

On Feb 20, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Ted Larson Freeman wrote:

> Thanks, Michael. I hadn't heard of this product before.
>
> There are many reasons that people who do data analysis for a living
> choose a tool that was designed for that purpose. Perl is simply not
> in that product space. As just one example, the R environment has
> become a standard in the statistics community because it provides both
> a powerful programming language and excellent graphics. Creating heat
> maps is simple in R.

There's a LOT to be said for "the right tool for the job".  Boy is it
hard to know all the tools to pick the right one!!!

While at AT&T Bell Labs, I used S, the precursor to both S-Plus (a
commercial tool provided by a Seattle company - see insightful.com)
and R (the Open Source act-alike).  I used S to create topo maps of my
floors as support for a homeowner warranty claim against a builder for
his negligence.  (Because the topo maps were of a *floor*, they should
have been trivial.  They were not!!!)  It was a great tool for doing
some analysis, and ultimately printing some nice perspective maps to
show why folks tripped in certain spots where poor construction
techniques had created ridges, valleys, and "speed bumps".

Michael

P.S.  The founders of Tableau Software hail from Stanford.  It was a
research project similar to Google -- similar time frame and "right
down the hall".  The tool has some good academic/entrapeneural
provenance.

--
Michael R. Wolf
     All mammals learn by playing!