SPUG: Perl, the web, and receipt printers?

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Thu Feb 5 17:07:17 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009, Kirby Krueger (SPUG) wrote:
>Does anyone have any experience with receipt printers?  And in particular
>using them from a web application?
>
>My web foo is utterly failing me.  Everyone wants to sell you a complete
>Point of Sale System.  I found Epson's documentation, but it was nearly a
>thousand pages and was ... not as clear as one would expect a bloated,
>thousand page document to be.

We have always used Okidata matrix printers in our POS applications which
have been very reliable, and haven't changed much in years.

Pitney Bowes makes some interesting printers for printing on brochures with
postal bar codes, and take straight ascii input.

I have not used any of the little thermal (or whatever) printers that do
the small receipts such as one gets from a gas pump.

Anything that takes straight ascii text on a normal interface should work
without much difficulty.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

To say that UNIX is doomed is pretty rabid, OS/2 will certainly play a role,
but you don't build a hundred million instructions per second multiprocessor
micro and then try to run it on OS/2.  I mean, get serious.
    -- William Zachmann, International Data Corp