SPUG: Need a transparent email forwarding utility

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Sep 16 12:07:07 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:29:09AM -0700, Ben Reser wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Tim Maher <tim at consultix-inc.com> wrote:
> > The mail client on A is Outlook Web Access, which AFAICT has no resend
> > feature--just forward.
>
> Yeah probably doesn't.
>
> You should be able to just munge the From and Reply-To headers and it
> should work.

That's what I thought too! 8-}

> What headers have you been munging?

I have been changing From and Reply-to, using formail. But it's a bit
tricky because there are at least two Froms in every email, and formail
likes to grab the wrong one first unless I'm careful to spot that and grab
the next.

In some cases I've deleted a header that was apparently vital to
having the message recognized as valid (by mutt), which is of courses
a /very bad thing/. I don't really understand mail-message format, and
I'm not willing to change that now.

So long story short, instead of cobbling together my own system for
rewriting headers, which is turning out to be more complicated than I
thought, I'm looking for a more off-the-shell solution.

TIA,
-Tim
|    Tim Maher, PhD  (206) 781-UNIX    http://www.consultix-inc.com    |
|     tim at ( TeachMePerl, TeachMeLinux, or TeachMeUnix ) dot Com     |
| * CLASSES!  9/3: Int Perl Programming  9/15: Adv Shell Programming * |