SPUG: Need a transparent email forwarding utility

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Sep 16 10:25:27 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 09:05:32AM -0700, Ben Reser wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Tim Maher <tim at consultix-inc.com> wrote:
> > Can anybody recommend a module, script, or prefab application that
> > provides transparent Email forwarding? What I need is something that
> > will rewrite the headers so that mail sent to me at System A by
> > Person #42 can be forwarded to me at my (Linux) system B, and allow
> > me to hit "reply" to respond to Person #42 (instead of replying to
> > /me/ at System A), to hit "group reply" and reply to all the original
> > recipients, etc.
> >
> > TIA,
> > -Tim
>
> formail is an app made for munging mail headers, it's part of
> procmail.  But of course it still requires you
> to tell it what to do.

I've already been using that.

> Based on this message and your other reply, I'm really somewhat at a
> loss as to what you're trying to do.  But it sounds
> to me that you have mail access on some other system and you're using
> a mail client to forward a email to your other
> email account and then want to munge that back so that your mail
> client on your other email client treats it as though it
> was the original message.

My mail has to arrive on Machine A, but I'm forwarding it from there to B where I want to respond back to the party who sent the message to A.

> If this is the case I'd argue that you're doing it wrong.  Most mail
> clients have a resend feature that should let you resend
> the mail transparently like you want and it would behave just like you
> want.

The mail client on A is Outlook Web Access, which AFAICT has no resend
feature--just forward.

> Are we talking an occasional email you're forwarding or large amounts?

Large amounts!

TIA,
-Tim
|    Tim Maher, PhD  (206) 781-UNIX    http://www.consultix-inc.com    |
|     tim at ( TeachMePerl, TeachMeLinux, or TeachMeUnix ) dot Com     |
| * CLASSES!  9/3: Int Perl Programming  9/15: Adv Shell Programming * |