SPUG: Need a transparent email forwarding utility

Ben Reser ben at reser.org
Tue Sep 16 09:05:32 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Tim Maher <tim at consultix-inc.com> wrote:
> Can anybody recommend a module, script, or prefab application that
> provides transparent Email forwarding? What I need is something that
> will rewrite the headers so that mail sent to me at System A by
> Person #42 can be forwarded to me at my (Linux) system B, and allow
> me to hit "reply" to respond to Person #42 (instead of replying to
> /me/ at System A), to hit "group reply" and reply to all the original
> recipients, etc.
>
> TIA,
> -Tim
> P.S. Naturally, I've already tried writing a program to munge the
>     mail headers to achieve the desired effect, but I'm clearly
>     missing some critical piece of knowledge because it doesn't work
>     quite right.

formail is an app made for munging mail headers, it's part of
procmail.  But of course it still requires you
to tell it what to do.

Based on this message and your other reply, I'm really somewhat at a
loss as to what you're trying to do.  But it sounds
to me that you have mail access on some other system and you're using
a mail client to forward a email to your other
email account and then want to munge that back so that your mail
client on your other email client treats it as though it
was the original message.

If this is the case I'd argue that you're doing it wrong.  Most mail
clients have a resend feature that should let you resend
the mail transparently like you want and it would behave just like you
want.  So perhaps some more details would be helpful here.

Are you using a mail client to forward the message if so which mail client?

Is this some sort of automated script forwarding the mail to you which
you have no control over?

Are we talking an occasional email you're forwarding or large amounts?