SPUG: Need a transparent email forwarding utility

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Tue Sep 16 07:52:31 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 07:18:56AM -0700, Tim Maher wrote:
> Can anybody recommend a module, script, or prefab application that
> provides transparent Email forwarding? What I need is something that
> will rewrite the headers so that mail sent to me at System A by
> Person #42 can be forwarded to me at my (Linux) system B, and allow
> me to hit "reply" to respond to Person #42 (instead of replying to
> /me/ at System A), to hit "group reply" and reply to all the original
> recipients, etc.

You mean '... hit "reply" to respond *as* Person #42', right?

The forwarding depends on the mail system for System A. On most unixy
systems, you can put a .forward file in the user's homedir with the
address to forward email to. Yahoo and Gmail have a forwarding feature
buried somewhere in their user preferences web form.

On my local system, to send email as if from another email address, I
use settings in my mail client, mutt. The settings manipulate these
header fields on outbound message - From:, Return-Path:, Reply-To:.

For the most part, this works great. The main problem I experience is
that, with todays draconian anti-spam filtering, I need to do my best to
ensure that the relay I'm sending these outbound messages from is
authorized to send message from the domain in question.

-Colin.