SPUG: Bye bye XP PC!!! Hello Leopard Mac???

Atom Powers atom.powers at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 11:01:51 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 8:02 PM, Greg Forties <greg.forties at gmail.com> wrote:

> The real question you need to ask yourself, again, is what you're
> going to be using the machine for.  If you guys are a Windows shop,
> you'll have no end of frustration trying to run open source.  If you
> aren't, I highly recommend making the switch to one of the Unix
> derivatives.  Learning a new OS comes with its own set of
> frustrations, but in the end I think you'll be glad you did.

I've done a bit of development on both Mac OS X and Ubuntu. Nothing big,
juts a few web apps here and there. It's all about the tools you use. I'm
still looking for a good development suite for Mac. XCode just doesn't feel
right to me. I'm currently using Eclipse, but the shortcut keys aren't
mapped to the Mac style, so it's a bit confusing and I often end up doing a
context search instead of a copy, for instance. You may also have issues
with directory structure, depending on your development process. If I was
really serious about developing, I'd build an Ubuntu box and use that. But
the Mac shines in so may other ways that it just makes a better workstation
overall. (And if I was going to build a develpment box, it wouldn't have a
laptop-sized display either!)

--
Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--