SPUG: Bye bye XP PC!!! Hello Leopard Mac???

Bryan spug at whohasit.com
Thu Nov 6 16:01:31 PST 2008

Now, I don't think the issue is any particular language so much, but rather,
all of the other things you may want to load into your local system that
should work nicely with those language(s) of choice.

Frankly, developers here tend to install and configure as many tools as
necessary to emulate a virtual production environment, similar to that faced
within our datacenter .. not perfect, but that does save a lot of headaches
moving from end to end.

So in the end, that means in addition to your perl/modperl packages and
dependencies, stuff like memcached, perlbal, tomcat/java, mysql, etc. and
lots of more less obvious things like netpbm, imagemagik, et al should to be
maintained with little or no variation.

While the list of influential developers that I know running open source in
the datacenter who also choose to run mac behind their primary keyboard gets
longer, virtualization tools are clearly invaluable.

Bryan

Shiftboard, Inc.
311 1st Avenue South Suite 201
Seattle, Wa 98104  USA
http://www.shiftboard.com

"Shiftboard online scheduling:  people connect, stay informed and pick up work
instantly -- anytime, anywhere".