SPUG: JOB: Sr. Software Engineer, WhitePages.com, Seattle (downtown)
jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Sat Jun 7 13:36:23 PDT 2008
Are you looking for a unique position or one that melds with your
engineering and UI side? How about being a Utility Player? If this is you
and you want to break out of what you are doing day in and day out, then
you need to take a look at this!
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for the design, development,
and maintenance of WhitePages.com Inc.'s software, services, and
applications. This can include project implementation, code development,
maintenance, build management, architecture, design, project management,
and other work as assigned. This position is located in our Downtown
What We Do:
WhitePages.com is the definitive leader in online directory assistance,
serving tens of millions of users each month. Our web properties are
consistently top-ranked and we power the people search sections for
several of the largest Internet properties including SuperPages.com and
YellowPages.com. Driven by a spirit of innovation and a commitment to
delivering consumer value, WhitePages.com has nearly doubled its profits
and revenue each year since its incorporation in 2000 as Web site traffic
grew from one million to nearly 40 million users each month. Help us break
new ground in People Search as we execute on ambitious plans in 2008 and
What you will be doing:
- Write high-performance code and create scaleable systems according to
business and IT resource requirements, and maintainable code that is
easy to read, well-documented, and compliant with best-practice style
- Write code containing minimal bugs, and assist in QA as needed.
- Independently analyze, propose, and develop solutions for advanced
technical problems and issues
- Contribute to the architecture, design, implementation and
maintenance of high-performance, multi-tier, secure, scalable,
- Meet development milestones and business objectives on schedule.
- Write software consistent with business objectives and project or
- Contribute with strong personal effort and commitment to engineering
- Assist with application build management including implementing,
maintaining and troubleshooting build process and release mechanisms.
- Create and maintain high-quality documentation of all relevant
specifications, systems, and procedures.
- Communicate closely and effectively with product managers and
business management, leads, and peers.
- Assist with project management tasks (e.g. scheduling, task and
project estimation, status report, etc.) as necessary, training and
mentoring of staff and recruiting as needed.
What you will need to bring:
- BS or advanced degree in computer science, engineering, or related
technical field. (Or equivalent professional experience)
- At least 5-8 years of experience implementing database-driven, web-
based applications in Perl and/or experience in website and software
application development in an UNIX or Linux environment.
- Advanced understanding of and practical experience with various SDLCs
(Software Development Life Cycles).
- Extensive project leadership and management experience in all phases
of the development cycle (Inception, elaboration, construction,
- Broad and expansive work history with a variety of languages,
technologies, or projects.
- Experience designing, developing, and delivering large and
- Advanced knowledge of Perl and object-oriented design practices.
- Advanced knowledge of mod_perl and Apache, DBI and extensive
experience using Perl with relational databases.
- Advanced experience with Postgres, MySQL, and/or Oracle
- Advanced knowledge of CVS and build management principles and of
Linux and/or UNIX
- Strong knowledge of networked systems and network technologies
- Demonstrated ability to write and maintain complex technical
documentation, interpret and develop applications from requirement
documents, functional specifications, and/or technical
- Ability to assess the technical feasibility of projects and engage in
advanced systems and performance analysis.
- Experience with Directory Assistance, Marketing List, or similar data
(names, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, demographic
Why You Want To Work Here:
A profitable, diverse and rapidly growing company, we were ranked a best
place to work by Washington CEO Magazine, Seattle Business Monthly and
Seattle Metropolitan Magazine. We were also recognized by Inc. Magazine
as the 123rd Fastest Growing Private Company in North America! In
addition to our competitive compensation package, we provide annual
training and education allowances, discounted transportation passes,
catered lunch on Fridays, free snacks and soda, and quarterly company-
sponsored events. Our headquarters is located in the heart of downtown
Seattle surrounded by great restaurants and interesting places.
Bottom line... We're a small, highly profitable company and our people
are smart, passionate, team players with high integrity who like
challenge and have fun doing it!
Interested? Check us out: http://www.whitepages.com or send your resume
to cjohnson at whitepages.com
More information about the spug-list