SPUG: JOB: Sr. Software Engineer - WhitePages.com
jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Tue Jan 29 14:15:31 PST 2008
Sr. Software Engineer
Physical Location: 1301 Fifth Ave, Suite 1600 map
Seattle, WA 98101
Company's Product: WhitePages.com provides a simple, fast and reliable
way to find personal and business contact information
online, and via web-enabled mobile devices. We also
power the white pages of several leading websites and
Our Mission: To be the single best source for finding information to contact people.
Contact Information: jcaggiano at whitepages.com
Job Incentives: Bonus Plan
Contact: Initially through recruiters and then with other company staff
Sr. Software Engineer
Want to Work on a top-40 website and the Internet's leading people
search engine, doing hundreds of millions of searches every month,
without being a cog in a very large wheel? Be involved in the full cycle
of product development, from design to release, where millions of people
see your work? Join an insanely smart, highly productive, creative, and
Then join us as a Sr. Software Engineer.
Our Software Engineers are responsible for designing and building
systems to search billions of records in milliseconds for WhitePages.com
Inc.'s software, services, and applications.
Great, passionate engineers who want to build and ship highly-scalable,
highly-performance products, and who want to learn from some of the best
architects and engineers in the industry. We're a LAMP shop with
particular expertise in Perl, PostgreSQL, and MySQL.
What the Sr. Software Engineer position is all about:
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for the design, development,
and maintenance of WhitePages.com Inc.'s software, services, and
applications. This can include project implementation, code development,
and maintenance; build management, architecture, design, project
management, and other work as assigned by the department's Development
Managers. Initial projects will be focused on object oriented design and
development for our database driven web applications utilizing Perl.
Responsibilities may include:
- Write high-performance code and create scaleable systems according to
business and IT resource requirements.
- Write maintainable code that is easy to read, well-documented, and
compliant with best-practice style conventions.
- Write code containing minimal bugs, and assist in QA as needed.
- Independently analyze, propose, and develop solutions for advanced
technical problems and issues
- Meet development milestones and business objectives on schedule.
- Write software consistent with business objectives and project or
- Contribute with strong personal effort and commitment to engineering
- Assist with application build management including implementing,
maintaining and troubleshooting build process and release mechanisms.
- Create and maintain high-quality documentation of all relevant
specifications, systems, and procedures.
- Communicate closely and effectively with engineering management,
leads, and peers.
- Communicate closely and effectively with product managers and
business management, leads, and peers.
- Assist with project management tasks (e.g. scheduling, task and
project estimation, status report, etc.) as necessary.
- Assist in recruiting as needed.
What you need:
- BS or advanced degree in computer science, engineering, or related
technical field. (Or equivalent professional experience)
- At least 5-10 years of software engineering experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Perl and object-oriented design practices.
- Experience implementing database-driven, web-based applications.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Linux and/or UNIX.
- Knowledge of DBI and experience using Perl with relational databases.
- Intermediate to advanced experience with mod_perl and Apache.
- Advanced experience with Postgres, MySQL, and/or Oracle databases.
- Advanced understanding of and practical experience with various SDLCs
(Software Development Life Cycles).
- Small project leadership and management experience in all phases of
the development cycle (Inception, elaboration, construction,
- Broad and expansive work history with a variety of languages,
technologies, or projects.
- Advanced knowledge of CVS.
- Demonstrated ability to write and maintain technical documentation
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and develop applications from
requirement documents, functional specifications, and/or technical
- Experience with Java a plus, not required.
- Experience with XML and XSLT a plus, not required.
- Experience with Search Engine, Directory Assistance, Marketing List,
or similar data (names, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses,
demographic profiles, etc) a plus, not required.
What We Do:
WhitePages.com is the definitive leader in online directory assistance,
serving tens of millions of users each month. Our web properties are
consistently top-ranked and we power the people search sections for
several of the largest Internet properties including Verizon
SuperPages.com and YellowPages.com. Driven by a spirit of innovation and
a commitment to delivering consumer value, WhitePages.com has nearly
doubled its profits and revenue each year since its incorporation in
2000 as Web site traffic grew from one million to nearly 40 million
users each month. Help us break new ground in People Search as we
execute on ambitious plans in 2008 and beyond!
Why You Want To Work Here:
A profitable, diverse and rapidly growing company, we were ranked a best
place to work by Washington CEO Magazine, Seattle Business Monthly and
Seattle Metropolitan Magazine. We were also recognized by Inc. Magazine
as the 123rd Fastest Growing Private Company in North America! In
addition to our competitive compensation package, we provide annual
training and education allowances, discounted transportation passes,
catered lunch on Fridays, free snacks and soda, and quarterly
company-sponsored events. Our headquarters is located in the heart of
downtown Seattle surrounded by great restaurants and interesting places.
Bottom line: We're a small, highly profitable company and our people are
smart, passionate, team players with high integrity who like challenge
and have fun doing it!
Interested? Check us out: http://www.whitepagesinc.com/careers/
search. find. connect.
jcaggiano at whitepages.com
More information about the spug-list