SPUG: Looking for Getopt::Std

Adriano Ferreira a.r.ferreira at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 06:21:04 PST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 12:13 PM, Phil Kirsch <phil at scharp.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to bring some perl code into a new client's environment and
> find that they don't have Getopt::Std. I'm not finding it on CPAN. I'm
> finding "Getopt-Std-With-Check" (which also requires Getopt::Std) and a
> lot of other variants, but when I search for "Getopt::Std" on CPAN the
> only available downloads seem to be Perl-5.10.0. I realize the module
> might be incorporated in the new version, but I'm really not wanting to
> move to that.
>
> Can anybody tell me where to find the "Getopt::Std" module?

That's weird as Getopt::Std is part of the official distribution of
Perl since forever. That's what corelist says:
###
$ corelist Getopt::Std

Getopt::Std was first released with perl 5
###
As the module is not available in its own distribution (like a dual
life module), you may use directly the source from

http://search.cpan.org/src/RGARCIA/perl-5.10.0/lib/Getopt/Std.pm

This is a pure Perl code with the only prerequisite on Exporter (which
hopefully your clients will have installed -- but at least Exporter is
at CPAN now).

You may write a minimum Makefile.PL to get it installed in the
client's machine. Something like

# Makefile.PL
use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
WriteMakefile(
     NAME => 'Getopt::Std',
     VERSION_FROM => 'Std.pm',
);

# MANIFEST
Makefile.PL
Std.pm

with the dist layout shown in the example MANIFEST file above.

Regards,
Adriano Ferreira