SPUG: Perl directory permission checks and *nix ACLs

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Mon Dec 29 19:26:31 PST 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 5:55 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Side note regarding the signature format issue: I'm more than happy
> to oblige, as I think having standard sig formats makes sense.
> However, is this convention simply based on the practices of one or
> two mailers? Or is there some standards body out that placed its
> blessing on the dash-dash-space-return format? If you could give me
> a reference, it would be helpful, at least so I'd have something to
> e-mail my buddy when he asks why I'm insisting on a certain format.

It's been a "convention" (or possibly Standard) for as long as I can
remember (20+ years), and was enforced for outgoing and incoming
signature processing.  I'm guessing that the extra space prevents it
from accidentally colliding with otherwise useful decorations.

Now that Andy pointed it out, I see that my MUA, Mail.app on OS X,
isn't enforcing that convention.  Durn.  I guess I'll have to do it
myself.  I really dislike it when standards are placed on the
shoulders of users instead of the tools they use.  Backwards to my
thinking, similar to locks on the outside of a door.