SPUG: Perl directory permission checks and *nix ACLs

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Mon Dec 29 14:26:41 PST 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Christopher Howard wrote:

> If any of you have done Perl file permission checks in the context of a
> *nix environment, would you take a look at this post I made:
>
> http://www.linux.com/forums/topic/3792
>
> I posted this question to my Linux forum because it seemed like more of a
> *nix issue than a Perl-specific issue. But if any of you have
> any insight into this, I'd appreciate the help.

You will still need to check for errors after performing any filesystem
operations. That would seem to be the place to check for permission
violations (along with all the other things that can go wrong when working
with the filesystem). That also helps reduce the probability of a race
condition.

> --
> Christopher Howard
> choward at indicium.us
> http://www.indicium.us

By the way, the double-hyphen preceding the signature block is
traditionally followed by a single space.

(Why on earth would I notice this? Because my mail client automatically
trims off the signature block when replying to a message. But it only
does so it if matches /^--\s$/.)

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.