SPUG: Perl CGI session authentication

Tye McQueen tyemq at cpan.org
Sat Dec 13 00:06:16 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:06 AM, breno <breno at rio.pm.org> wrote:

> When looking for nice Perl modules, you should try CPAN instead of google
> ;-)

I somewhat disagree. At least one of the search methods on
search.cpan.orgis amazingly bad.  If I have a CPAN module search that
uses more than a
single keyword, I tend to have better luck with feeding google "site:
search.cpan.org ...".

For example, consider looking for a module that does permutations but can
handle duplicates.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Asearch.cpan.org+permutations+duplicates

has the very first hit being exactly what we are looking for and this is
clear from the snippet of text shown for the hit.  Compare

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=permutations+duplicates&mode=module

which doesn't even list the module that mentions both of those terms (it
instead lists all module that mention /either/ term in their names)

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=permutations+duplicates&mode=all

comes closer but lacks the snippets that show the context of how the search
terms are used in the matched documents and so it is not easy to tell if any
of the matches are actually what you are looking for, and is missing a ton
of matches that google found.  My experience is also that goole does a
better job of sorting such results.

Tye