SPUG: Understanding RUID EUID and modules (fwd)

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Wed May 16 15:38:51 PDT 2007

You might have some luck understanding this if you have a look at what Paul
Fenwick did in Proc::UID (which I'll have to bump him on to get it "production
ready").  Although he might use $< and $>, I can't remember.  There's a
Perlmonks thread at  http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=361909
too.

I remember him finding a bug in handling of $< and $>, in that they _cache_ the
*id results.  This means that if you call an external program, or use a C
routine which makes changes to them, $< and $> might be wrong.