SPUG: Grep syntax

Marc M. Adkins Perl at Doorways.org
Sun Jun 17 21:47:24 PDT 2007

Shawn W. wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2007, at 11:07 PM, Ivan Heffner wrote:
>
>> All of this talk (and disdain) for grep. Why?
>>
>> And no one has mentioned it's counterpart: map
>>

> I suspect a lot of perl users don't  have a great deal of familiarity
> with functional languages where list processing is emphasized than it
> is in perl -- lisp, scheme, the MLs, and so on.  map, filter/grep,
> and one that perl's missing as a built-in -- fold (which can be used
> to create pretty much any other list function) are used all over the
> place in those languages. Not so much in perl, though not for
> technical reasons. People get into a certain mindset of how to do
> something and just don't think of alternatives using other paradigms
> or idioms.

LOL.

One of the reasons I enjoy Perl is that it reminds me of Lisp.  It's a
little bit of a stretch, but think about map and grep, eval, and the
minimal but entirely sufficient support for objects.  Not to mention
productivity, measured as getting the job done in minimal time.

I so miss InterLisp.  Anyone have an old Xerox 110X box laying around
gathering dust?

Marc M. Adkins