SPUG: Grep syntax

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Fri Jun 15 23:32:59 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007, Ivan Heffner wrote:

>   All of this talk (and disdain) for grep. Why?
>   And no one has mentioned it's counterpart: map
>   my @b_copy = map { 255 } @b;

My original request was (a) to try to figure out why somebody
would use grep in a manner that wasn't about pattern recognition,
but used for looping, and (b) I think I said that map would be a
more logical choice for that.  I was attempting to figure out
what the author of the Net::CIDR package was doing.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC

Democracy must be sometihng more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what
to have for dinner -- James Bovard