SPUG: REMINDER: Meeting Announcement -- 21 August, 2007

Daina Wilburn dwilburn at whitepages.com
Mon Aug 20 14:53:35 PDT 2007

A REMINDER,  with a special announcement about this month's meeting.
See below:

    August 2007 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

    Topic: OCD Hacks for Successful Remote Teams
    Speaker: J. Gryphon Shafer
    Meeting Date: Tuesday, 21 August 2007
    Meeting Time: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
    Location: Whitepages.com offices, downtown Seattle

    Cost: Admission is free and open to the public
    Info: http://seattleperl.org/

This coming Tuesday, August 21st, is the next meeting of the THE SEATTLE
PERL USERS GROUP.

This month, Gryphon Shafer will present a talk entitled "OCD HACKS FOR
SUCCESSFUL REMOTE TEAMS".

Learn how to use obsessive compulsiveness to lead or participate in a
successful remote team.  Hacks include managing distance and culture
issues, useful technical tools, hiring standards and practices, style
guides and code reviews, and more.  Learn how to build a successful
remote team and pitch telecommuting to entrenched leadership. (I'm all
for that LAST point!)  It promises to be an interesting, informational
and possibly controversial discussion (depending upon your point of
view, I guess!).

Gryphon Shafer is the Director of Technology for Petfinder, part of
Animal Planet, Discovery Communications. He leads his department as a
fully-telecommute organization spread across the country and works out
of his home in Port Orchard.

================
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also, for the first time, we are experimentally offering a webcast of
this month's meeting for a limited number of those of you who physically
can't make it.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Follow these Directions:

1.Go to
https://whitepages.webex.com/whitepages/e.php?AT=MI&EventID=91846662
2.Enter your name and email address.
3.Enter the meeting password: whitep
4.Click "Join".
5.Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.

For audio follow these instructions:

1. Dial 206-973-5104
2. You will then be prompted to enter a conference room number
	Enter: 8216
3. You will be then be prompted to enter a password/pin and # sign
	Enter: 1234#
You will entered into the call.

================
So, be sure to bring your friends, stray pets (ahem), and, of course,
don't forget to bring yourself!  We'll see YOU at the next SPUG meeting!

================

Thanks again to all the SPUG members that show up at meetings or
participate on the list to make the group worthwhile in the first place,
and all the JAPHs out there for just being.

Meeting Location
================

Whitepages.com is located on the 16th floor of the Rainier Square
Tower (1301 5th Avenue, Seattle) which is across from the 5th Avenue
Theater.

See the directions[1] for a quick primer on how to reach us from
various locations across Puget Sound.

There are plenty of locations to park in the area, including on the
street. If you're looking for off-street parking, you can park in the
Rainier Square garage which has an entrance on Union St.

After 6PM, the building management restricts access to most floors.
Our host is trying to take care of this, but if unsuccessful, they
will station someone on the 1st floor near the elevator bank and 5th
Avenue entrance to let people in. Worst case scenario, give the host a
call on his cell phone[2] or [3] and he'll run down to let you in.

Our hosts are providing a generous assortment of free sodas, fruit
drinks, teas, and coffee, and also have some snacks. You definitely
won't dehydrate here.

See you there! -DW

[1] - http://www.whitepagesinc.com/locations
[2] - Colin's OTC this week