SPUG: JOB: Perl programmer, actuarial dept, Mercer Island

SPUG Jobs jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Fri Apr 6 08:13:44 PDT 2007

We have a full-time job opening for a PC programmer that might interest
SPUG members.  The job is in the Systems Area of the actuarial department
of Farmers New World Life Insurance Company, on Mercer Island, WA.  Here
are the requirements:

Expertise with Perl, C#, and the MS .NET environment.
SAS experience desirable but not required.
SQL experience, preferably with MS SQL Server.
Strong analysis, design, and programming skills.
Ability to create documentation that meets predefined standards.
Willingness to participate in design and code reviews.
Good oral and written communication skills.
Bachelor's degree in math, computer science, or engineering.

This is a permanent position, with a salary in the range $59,400 -
$101,500, depending on qualifications and experience.  We do not offer
stock options, but we have a defined-benefit pension plan, as well as a
deferred profit sharing plan that has contributed 15% of salary annually
over the past 15 years, plus cash profit sharing of up to 5% of salary
annually.  We are currently looking for applicants directly rather than
through a recruiter.  Telecommuting might be possible, at least for some
days.

The Systems Area is a sub-department within the actuarial department, not
connected to the Farmers IT department.  It is currently a small group,
consisting of a PC-programmer/manager, two mainframe/PC programmers, a
temporary contract programmer, an actuarial student, and an actuarial
clerk.  We would like to add a PC programmer to provide backup for the Perl
programs we have created and to write new programs in both Perl and C#.  We
also use SAS for some systems.  Because most of the programs we create
involve mathematical formulas, the applicant should have a solid math
background.

Interested and qualified applicants should send their resume to
Steve_Sommer at FarmersInsurance.com.