SPUG: Meeting Announcement -- chromatic -- 19 September 2006

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 22:39:02 PDT 2006

    September 2006 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting
    ======================= ============================

     Title: Perl Hacks You Might Not Know
    Speaker: chromatic

    Meeting Date: Tuesday, 19 September 2006
     Meeting Time: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
    Location: Whitepages.com offices, downtown Seattle

    Cost: Admission is free and open to the public
     Info: http://seattleperl.org/

 Please join us Tuesday evening on 19 September 2006 at the regular
monthly meeting of the Seattle Perl Users Group. Like a one-man Penn &
Teller show, chromatic will reveal the magic behind some scary Perl
hacks.

Thank you to our hosts at Whitepages.com for giving us a great place
to hold our meetings and presentations, to the SPUG-Workers list for
making speaker arrangements, to all the SPUG members that show up at
meetings or participate on the list to make the group worthwhile in
the first place, and all the JAPHs out there for just being.

 See below for more information on...

     - Speaker Background
    - Presentation Description
     - Meeting Location

 Speaker Background
==================

chromatic
--------------------------------

chromatic is the technical editor of the O'Reilly Network, covering
open source and free software. In his spare time, he writes books. In
his other spare time, he writes software, including Perl 5, Perl 6,
Parrot, and other projects that don't necessarily start with a P. He
hopes to receive spare time as presents later in the year to do more
writing and programming and eventually pick up normal human hobbies,
such as sleeping and eating.

Presentation Description
========================

Perl Hacks You Might Not Know
 ----------------------------------

Perl is a powerful language with many secrets. It's no wonder that we
call the true masters of Perl gurus — they have studied and discovered
arcane knowledge and arcana.

In this talk, Perl Hacks lead author chromatic will show off several
hacks you probably didn't even know existed. Some are practical. Some
are disgusting. Every one is worth learning for when you find a
problem you just can't solve any other way. Even if you've heard of
them before, he'll show how they work — so you can create your own
practical mayhem!

Potential hacks include:

    * Source filtering without source filters
    * Using shared libraries without a compiler
    * Creating truly private methods
    * Reading and writing lexicals without permission
    * Controlling the runloop from pure Perl

Meeting Location
================

Whitepages.com is located on the 16th floor of the Rainier Square
Tower (1301 5th Avenue, Seattle) which is across from the 5th Avenue
Theater.

See the directions[1] for a quick primer on how to reach us from
various locations across Puget Sound.

There are plenty of locations to park in the area, including on the
street. If you're looking for off-street parking, you can park in the
Rainier Square garage which has an entrance on Union St.

After 6PM, the building management restricts access to most floors.
Our host is trying to take care of this, but if unsuccessful, they
will station someone on the 1st floor near the elevator bank and 5th
Avenue entrance to let people in. Worst case scenario, give our host a
call on his cell phone[2] and he'll run down to let you in.

Our hosts are providing a generous assortment of free sodas, fruit
drinks, teas, and coffee, and also have some snacks. You definitely
won't dehydrate here.

We look forward to seeing you!

[1] - http://www.whitepagesinc.com/locations/
[2] - 206.271.9267