SPUG: CPAN links without version or author

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Sun Oct 8 21:39:33 PDT 2006

All links I find in CPAN have the version number imbedded like this:

http://search.cpan.org/~thaljef/Perl-Critic-0.2/lib/Perl/Critic.pm

When I want to refer to the module, but make sure that subsequent accesses
get the *latest* version, it's easy enough to edit them by hand to something
like this (if I don't forget):

http://search.cpan.org/~thaljef/Perl-Critic/lib/Perl/Critic.pm

But what if the author changes?

I've seen links like this.

http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Perl::Critic

To my way of thinking (since I'm *thinking* about the module), the link
should *only* have the module name in it.  That's just good data
abstraction.  I shouldn't have to know or care who the author is or what the
current version is.

Does anyone know the guts of CPAN well enough to know if the pubic links are
likely to change?

And is there a better way (i.e. no manual editing necessary) to grab links
to *modules* without manually removing the author and version information?

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRWolf at att.net