SPUG: Advice on sub return-code policies?

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Thu Oct 5 11:03:14 PDT 2006

Although I do share a bit of your view (see my previous semi-playful posts),
I do think that there *are* subsets of code that work well together, and
therefore benefit from a consistent interface (e.g. call parameter positions
or names, and return values).

Certainly, code above the system call level can reap benefits from
consistency like this:

  Errno - System errno constants - search.cpan.org
  http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Errno/Errno_pm.PL

  A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emerson does not explain the difference between foolish consistency and wise
consistency.  Nor could we.  That's the balance between art and science that
we balance every day in our code.

Many folks have never heard the "A foolish" part of this quote, so they
consider all consistency to be evil.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!