SPUG: object refs in Perl 5.6.1 vs 5.8.4

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Mon May 15 09:01:02 PDT 2006

On Sat, 13 May 2006, Fred Morris wrote:

> Isn't that what happens when you try to stringify a ref?

I don't think so. A stringified object would be more like
"Class::Name=HASH(0x836a824)".

> Checked paths?

Several times. But, after taking a break from this over the weekend, I'll
look 'em over a few more times with OCD-like fervor.

> Any funny stuff going on in startup.perl?

One "use lib" to hook my local lib tree and a lot of "use Whatever ();" to
preload the usual heavy hitters. No funny business here.

> Using evals for anything in particular?

Now that's an interesting question. This is inherited code that's gone
through several programmers and subsequent coding styles. They naturally
applied either the style they were familiar with or what ever code de jour
took their fancy that month (I'm just as guilty). I do have an eval that I
added to this particular application. I used it to replace a try/throw
block (a la Error.pm) that was partially applied around a tie() call for
an Apache::Session::File object (which is one of my culprits). Error.pm
was not used consistently throughout the stack and there was already a
mechanism for handling a tie() failure in scope. So I replaced it with an
eval block. I'll have to play with that to see if I broke some other
semantics somewhere.

Thanks, Fred.

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.