SPUG: SPUG Wiki replaced

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Fri May 12 15:55:22 PDT 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006, Andrew Sweger wrote:
>I experienced Twiki a while back[1]. My decision was largely driven by 1)
>how much sysadmin effort would be required to get it up and maintain it,
>2) whether it supported user accountability out of the box, 3) whether it
>is an officially maintained Debian package, 4) database backed, and 5)
>fast (MW takes advantage of memcached; mad props to our buddy, Brad). Perl
>was a ways further down the list as I recall. Twiki missed out on a few
>points plus carries some unfortunate political and licensing baggage (I
>stopped trying to keep up years ago, so maybe things have changed).

Personally I don't care what language a package uses so long as
it (a) runs in *nix, and (b) does the job without my having to
poke around it its guts too frequently.

The two major perl projects that we use are amavisd-new and
spamassassin.  We switched from Majordomo to Mailman several
years ago (with a perl front-end I adapated from one I wrote for
Majordomo years ago to prescan for spam patterns).  Zope and
Plone provide lots of capabilities that the average user can take
advantage of without having to write in *ANY* language.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC

``It is surprising how much new stuff users find that developers never do.
You put a copy in front of a normal user and they find all these bugs that
you would think developers would find. The real users and developers are
completely different species as far as I am concerned.''
    --Linux creator Linus Torvalds