SPUG: Meeting Announcement -- Test More, ok? - 21 March 2006

Andrew Sweger andrew at seattleperl.org
Tue Mar 14 09:19:15 PST 2006

        March 2006 Seattle Perl Users Group (SPUG) Meeting

       Title: Test More, ok?
     Speaker: Jerry Gay

Meeting Date: Tuesday, 21 March 2006
Meeting Time: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
    Location: Whitepages.com offices

        Cost: Admission is free and open to the general public
        Info: http://seattleperl.org/

Please join us Tuesday evening on 21 March 2006 at the regular monthly
meeting of the Seattle Perl Users Group. Did I say Jerry would present
Parrot? Well, it's sort of about Parrot. Jerry will show us how to have
confidence in our code through proactive testing techniques.

See below for more information on...

    - Speaker Background
    - Presentation Description
    - Meeting Location

Speaker Background
==================

Jerry Gay
---------

Jerry Gay is a software consultant who uses Perl for fun and profit mainly
by automating people out of jobs. He's a core committer for Parrot, the
virtual machine destined to run Perl 6, where he's responsible for the
test suite.

Presentation Description
========================

Test More, ok?
--------------

My confidence that my code will perform to specification has improved
significantly since I learned how to write tests. I'll give an overview of
some of Perl's test modules, and share my experiences in applying them to
Parrot. Hopefully, this will inspire you to improve confidence in your
code by writing your own tests.

Meeting Location
================

Whitepages.com is located on the 16th floor of the Rainier Square Tower
(1301 5th Avenue, Seattle) which is across from the 5th Avenue Theater.
See the directions[1] for a quick primer on how to reach us from various
locations across Puget Sound.

There are plenty of locations to park in the area, including on the
street. If you're looking for off-street parking, you can park in the
Rainier Square garage which has an entrance on Union St.

After 6PM, the building management restricts access to most floors. Our
host is trying to take care of this, but if unsuccessful, they will
station someone on the 1st floor near the elevator bank and 5th Avenue
entrance to let people in. Worst case scenario, give our host a call on
his cell phone[2] and he'll run down to let you in.

Our hosts are providing a generous assortment of free sodas, fruit drinks,
teas, and coffee, and also have some snacks. You definitely won't
dehydrate here.

We look forward to seeing you!

[1] - http://www.whitepagesinc.com/locations
[2] - published under separate cover (I'm not sure who's phone)