SPUG: JOB: Software Engineer (Perl Dev) at Whitepages.com (downtown)

SPUG Jobs jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Tue Jun 20 23:02:11 PDT 2006

Whitepages also has an opening for a Software Engineer (Perl developer) in
our downtown Seattle offices (Raniner Tower, 5th and Union).  We call this
position Software Engineer II and we are accepting resumes for until
further notice.

This a full-time permanent (W-2) position with full Whitpeages benefits
including but not limited to:

* Profit sharing
* Stock options,
* Yearly education allowance,
* Puget Sound Flex Pass,
* Free snacks and
* Free Friday Lunch.

Required Skill Set- See job description below.

Contact our recruiter directly (see below) for information

WhitePages.com, Inc. is a profitable, diverse, and rapidly growing
company that is a leader in providing online directory assistance and
data services. We serve millions of users each month from our top-ranked
Web properties including WhitePages.com and WhitePages.ca. Our offices
are located in downtown Seattle, and we provide a work environment that
is casual, yet challenging, fun and fast-paced.

The Software Engineer II is responsible for the development and
maintenance of WhitePages.com Inc.'s software, services, and
applications. This can include project implementation, code development,
maintenance, build management, architecture, design, project management,
and other work as assigned by the department's Development Managers.

Duties and Responsibilities

* Write high-performance code and create scaleable systems according to
  business and IT resource requirements.
* Write maintainable code that is easy to read, well-documented, and
  compliant with best-practice style conventions.
* Write code containing minimal bugs, and assist in QA as needed.
* Analyze, propose, and develop solutions for technical problems and
  issues
* Meet development milestones and business objectives on schedule.
* Write software consistent with business objectives and project or task
  requirements
* Contribute with strong personal effort and commitment to engineering
  initiatives.
* Create and maintain high-quality documentation of all relevant
  specifications, systems, and procedures.
* Communicate closely and effectively with engineering management, leads,
  and peers.
* Communicate closely and effectively with product managers and business
  management, leads, and peers.
* Assist with project management tasks (e.g. scheduling, task and project
  estimation, status report, etc.) as necessary.
* Assist in recruiting as needed.

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities

* BS or advanced degree in computer science, engineering, or related
  technical field. (Or equivalent professional experience)
* At least 4 years of experience implementing database-driven, web-based
  applications in Perl.
* At least 4 years of experience in website and software application
  development in an UNIX or Linux environment.
* Solid understanding of and practical experience with various SDLCs
  (Software Development Life Cycles)
* Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Perl and object-oriented design
  practices.
* Beginning to intermediate level experience with mod_perl and Apache.
* Intermediate to advanced knowledge of DBI and experience using Perl with
  relational databases.
* Experience with Postgres, MySQL, and/or Oracle databases.
* Experience with HTML, XHTML, and JavaScript.
* Experience with XML and XSLT.
* Experience with CVS, Subversion, or other source code management and
  version control systems.
* Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Unix or Linux
* Demonstrated ability to write and maintain technical documentation
* Demonstrated ability to interpret and develop applications from
  requirement documents, functional specifications, and/or technical
  specifications.
* Experience with Directory Assistance, Marketing List, or similar data
  (names, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, demographic profiles,
  etc).

Performance Skills

* Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with technical and
  non-technical staff across the entire company, including product
  managers, business management, leads, and peers.
* Strong desire to work with Open Source technologies and commitment to
  the Open Source community
* Attention to detail and commitment to quality.
* Desire to work in fast-paced team environment.
* Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and rapidly changing
  requirements.
* Ability to set and achieve personal goals.
* Strong commitment to ongoing personal and technical development.

Anyone interested should contact me at the email address/phone number
listed below.

Thanks!

Daina Wilburn
Sr. Recruiter