SPUG: PERL technical interview

Creede Lambard creede at penguinsinthenight.com
Mon Jan 23 17:23:01 PST 2006

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 10:58:01AM -0800, JD Brennan wrote:
> On 1/21/06, Creede Lambard <creede at penguinsinthenight.com> wrote:
> >
> > Come up with a good way to reverse a string. I get asked that about two
> > out
> > of three interviews, it seems like. Oh, and no one seems to like
> >
> >   print join ('', reverse( split (//, $string)));
> >
> > which seems unfair to me. I mean, if they're going to expect me to use
> > Perl,
> > I should be able to use Perl, not use Perl in a particular way they
> > mandate
>

> The goal of the interview coding question is to try
> to gain insight into how you think and how you tackle
> problems.   So asking for more than one solution can
> enable the interviewer to gain more insight.

That's a valid point, but somehow it invariably gets expressed as "No, I
don't want you to do it that way" as opposed to "Can you do it another way
as well?"

                               * .~. (   : Creede Lambard         :
 Never rush a miracle man.    . / V \  . :------------------------:
 You get lousy miracles.       /(   )\   : creede at              :