SPUG: Unidentified Flying Objects

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Tue Jan 10 12:25:15 PST 2006

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Fred Morris wrote:

> So I am going to try to explain this, and then at the end there is a little
> standalone Perl script which runs and demonstrates just how easy it is to
> change the class of an object in midair using Perl.

Way back in 1999, a mild mannered coworker demonstrated a script that
would use the Perl class name as a kind of state attribute as it managed a
huge pool of flying objects. My only response was, "That is so cool! And

Somehow it seems to defeat the purpose of the academic OO model. But
that's just because I can't think of a practical example of where this
technique would actually be helpful to understanding the solution to a

Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.