SPUG: CGI and DBI_File not playing nice

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Wed Feb 15 09:54:34 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006, Orr, Chuck  (NOC) wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>        I am trying to use a tied hash to speed up a cgi application.
>   The tied data structure works well as long as I do lookups from perl
>   running on the same machine.  When I use CGI and there is a web
>   interface, the following error pops up:

It appears that the Berkeley database routines on the machine
aren't the same ones that were used when the perl DB_File was
built.  You probably need to update these from CPAN.

In general the Berkeley database routines are nasty!  Their API
changes from version to version, and even within patch levels to
a version (perhaps they're working on the Microsoft model).  If
you look at the DB_File code in perl, or the corresponding code
in python, you'll see #ifdefs all over the place, and lots of #if
statements that deal with major, minor, and patch levels.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

``Fix reason firmly in her seat and call to her tribunal every fact,
every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God;
because, if there is one, he must more approve of the homage of
reason, than that of blindfolded fear.''  --Thomas Jefferson