SPUG: Is Perl for .NET on anyone's radar?

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Wed Aug 23 18:54:56 PDT 2006

JD Brennan wrote:
> Is there a JScript.net? or JavaScript.net?  Translating
> Perl to JavaScript should be fairly straight-forward and
> then I could run Perl scripts in the JVM with Rhino or
> in the CLR (if there's a JavaScript for .NET)

JScript .NET:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/jscript7/html/jsorijscript.asp

My whole experience with .NET is related instead to mono.  But what is possible
in one, should be possible in the other, surely.  Mono has a rather impressive
list of supported languages at:

	http://www.mono-project.com/Languages

It's a shame Perl's not on there, although I had previously thought it was due
to their FAQ:

	Windows has compilers that target the virtual machine from a number of
	languages: (http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/thirdparty/default.asp#lang)
	Managed C++, Java Script, Eiffel, Component Pascal, APL, Cobol, Perl,
	Python, Scheme, Smalltalk, Standard ML, Haskell, Mercury and Oberon.

Not quite sure what to make of that.

   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |
  _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'           | contact at perltraining.com.au |
 (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'             |   www.perltraining.com.au   |