SPUG: shebang line on Suse (oxymoronically) requires an option

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Tue Aug 1 23:51:43 PDT 2006

Recently, I tried moving the -w from the shebang line to a 'use warnings'
statement, and found that something in the Suse shebang processing won't
allow me to have a processor without a flag.  What gives?  Anyone else seen
this?  I get a message from the shell indicating an illegal processor, but
it doesn't mention /usr/bin/perl in the error message.

It doesn't matter what the option is, but I must have an option.  My first
guess was that if the shebang line contained qq{#!/usr/bin/perl\r} (having
come from a DOS-ish system (my XP laptop) that the processing might be
confused.  I ran the script through dos2unix to make sure that it had
qq{#!/usr/bin/perl\n}, but that didn't make a difference.

Other ideas?

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!