SPUG: Pretty-Printing Nested Hashes?

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 16:59:13 PDT 2005

On 9/19/05, Michael Wallendahl <mwallend at spikus.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestions on a good algorithm to
> 'pretty-print' a nested hash in tabular form?
>
> Take the following hash:
[snip perl example]
> Is there an easy way to print out the contents of %h in a tabular form
> so that the width of each column is set to the largest element?   Like
> this:
>
>     First     Last
>     --------- ------
>     Bob       Marley
>     Sue Ellen Smith

i believe the answer you're looking for can be found in Damian
Conway's Perl6::Form module. i'm sure you'll find the documentation
enlightening, especially the section entitled "Distributive field
widths," which appears just after halfway from the top of the
document.

    http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Perl6-Form-0.04/Form.pm

there's no reason to wait for Perl 6 when it's here already :)
~jerry