SPUG: Perl tutors wanted

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Tue Oct 18 09:59:53 PDT 2005

> Why not have (encourage) them to post their questions on the SPUG list
> itself. This list has provided me with a bounty of virtual tutelage.
> Added with the benefit of several different views of the same solution.

Virtual Tutelage?

We were hoping it was *actual* tutelage!  :-)

And on a serious note...

Make sure they realize that we're interested in helping them and pointing
them in the right direction, but not in facilitating irresponsible requests
to do all the work for them.  And make sure that they understand that many
replies will *not* be working code, but pointers to good documentation.
That's a lot of what we "elders" can supply -- pointers for where to look.
And make sure that they understand that RTFM can actually mean read the FINE
manual, with pointers like "start digging around by reading perodc XXX or
look at Module::YYY, then re-post a better/different question if that
doesn't clear it up for you".

Make sure you hear where I'm coming from.  I did, privately, send my contact
information to be a tutor.  It's one of the things I do.  I teach Perl.  I
promote Perl.  I promote Perl by teaching Perl.  I agree with Jay.  SPUG
could be a great place to put apprentices with master craftspeople.  I've
often regretted that we don't have more of an apprenticeship model in our
field.  I think it's a great way to share the hard-earned knowledge with the
next wave of up-and-coming programmers.  I just want to avoid the burn-out
I've seen in other forums where advice stopped being offered when
questioners took advantage of the forum.

I think you know what I'm saying.  I'll stop now.

Mike -- thanks for making the private individual connections.

Jay -- thanks for suggesting they go public in a group.

Let the playing (err, learning) begin!

Thanks,
Michael "It takes a Perl Community" Wolf

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRWolf at att.net