SPUG: Interdependance of package subroutines

Marc M. Adkins Perl at Doorways.org
Fri May 20 18:46:45 PDT 2005

I am currently using fully qualified function names for a lot of utility
package functions.  I like seeing immediately where the function comes
from, it avoids cluttering my local name space, and there's some sense
of increased accuracy in specifying the entire pedigree of the function.

I may be overly fussy about not just importing the symbols.  Maybe
because I often use a lot of packages and I'm afraid of some obscure
interaction.  Or with my own code, forgetting that I already wrote a
function by that name in a package I use all over the place and having
subtle bugs plague me for weeks.

I never specify something as main::Function(%args), if it's in the
default namespace I just use the unadorned function name.

I don't use the & operator as in your examples, I just invoke the
functions as Package::Function(%args).

My function trees can go three and four deep for subsidiary packages.  I
use the tree of classes (namespaces?) to group related software modules
and/or classes.  If done properly the names read well, making the
purpose of the function immediately apparent from the name tree.

Most of my code is done in objects.  Mostly what I manipulate are things
of the form $object->method(%args).  So the long function names I use
are nowhere near on every line.  It doesn't seem like a real burden to
type the long names.

Of course, I can touch type.  If I was a hunt'n'peck typist I might just
import the blinking symbols and be done with it.

mma