SPUG: basic array question

Can Subaykan cansubaykan at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 10:38:58 PDT 2005

Here are some examples of list context in action. Pay attention especially
to the difference between the third and fourth examples, as that is a subtle
but crucial difference.

# scalar = list literal, assigns last in list to scalar variable
$this = (2,3,4,5,6); # $this is 6

# array = list literal, assigns list to array variable
@nums = (2,3,4,5,6);

# scalar = array, assigns number of elements in array to scalar variable
$this = @nums; # $this is 5

# scalar in list context = array (or list), assigns first in list to scalar
variable
($this) = @nums; # $this is 2

# literal list = list, assigns each element and discards leftovers
($this, $that, $other) = ('a', 'b', 'c', 'd'); # $this = a, $that = b,
$other = c