SPUG: Perl Question?

James Moore james at banshee.com
Wed May 4 17:52:02 PDT 2005

> However, if all you
> are trying to do is guarantee singleton or fixed number of running
> processes then querying proc via Proc::ProcessTable or a home grown
> solution (what I've commonly done) pretty much eliminates the possible of
> multiple processes of the same time running simultaneously.

You're probably right most of the time (certainly often enough to be
useful), but it's not 100%.  Looking at the processes this way doesn't
guarantee that at least one of them will run; if multiple processes start at
the same time, there's a race condition where they would all decide that
they're ineligible to run.

 - James