SPUG: Perl Question?

dleonard at dleonard.net dleonard at dleonard.net
Wed May 4 09:36:17 PDT 2005

As someone who has been rewriting code that uses lockfiles to determine whether it should launch I have to say this it definitely not an optimal way of doing things.  If a mount becomes unavailable, the filesystem becomes read-only, or a user or other process modifies the filesystem, this design breaks down.

I would recommend instead querying the process table for other processes running as $0.

--

<Douglas Leonard>
<dleonard at dleonard.net>