SPUG: Subversion

Brian Hatch bri at ifokr.org
Wed Mar 30 02:08:20 PST 2005

> > My company still uses some RedHat7.3 (true, subversion site has a
> > release for RH7.3).Other scm I worked with cvs,perforce do not have
> > dependencies like svn(swig,neon,apr,apache,etc).
>
> As a Subversion developer I'm a bit perplexed by this confusion over
> dependencies.
>
> swig, apache and neon are not hard dependencies.  The only dependency
> that you *MUST* have is apr.

Indeed, that's how my Subversion installation evolved.  First it was
purely local-machine based (file:/// URLs).  Then I started doing
my client stuff on a different box, so it was over ssh (svn+ssh:// URLs).
This week I finally had a chance to start working on the Apache front
end (apache 2.0 + the subversion apache modules, authldaps against
active directory, svnserve.conf for authorization) and was able to get
to it from my unix boxes (https://), windows boxes (TortoiseSVN rocks!)
windows via 'web folders' (web_dav with auto versioning in apache), and
read-only for any web browser -- even went and tweaked the xsl and css to
make it pretty!

But all that said, svn+ssh was working for me for many months, the rest
was icing and portability for those damned windows machines/developers.
(I could have supported them already using svnserve over the network,
but without crypto that makes me feel oogly, and installing Stunnel
on everyone's laptop and telling them to contact localhost doesn't
scale so well.)

> I think we've gone to a great deal of trouble to try and provide
> functionality without reinventing the wheel, but at the same time
> without demanding you have a given wheel if you don't really need it.

I work in a heavy CVS shop, and those folks that have heard what we
IT 'rogues' are doing are usually impressed.  Those cheap tags and
branches are pretty nice too.

The only thing I wish is that we could use cookie-based auth instead of
HTTP Basic, but I can't see a clean way I'd code it if I were the
neon folks.  I'm rolling out CoSign (weblogin.org) as an internal
single signon system, and it is excellent for web schtuff.  Though
folks occasionally get worried because they didn't need to log in
when they used to before -- it's all handled from that first page
and then they're done until it expires.

--
Brian Hatch                  PEBKAC:
   Systems and                Problem exists

Every message PGP signed