SPUG: Google paying students for OpenSource Projects

Allison Randal allison at perl.org
Wed Jun 1 21:25:16 PDT 2005

On Jun 1, 2005, at 19:25, Tim Maher wrote:

> This is the best news for the Open Source community I've heard
> in ages!  Big money awards to the students too! ($4,500).
>
> Check it out:
>
> Google's Summer of Code
>     posted by KM on Wednesday June 01, @12:12 (The Perl Foundation)
>     http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/01/1552221
>
> Perhaps SPUG could qualify as a "mentoring organization"; it would
> be fun, and worth $500 to us per student!

Google wants one central group for each language, but TPF would
certainly be happy to have volunteer mentors from SPUG, and distribute
the organizational share accordingly. (I'd connect you with Baden
Hughes, secretary of the grants committee, to work out the details.
He's acting as our primary contact with Google too.)

Allison

--
Allison Randal
President, The Perl Foundation