SPUG: Looking for a schedule module for calendar/time-of-daychecking

DeRykus, Charles E charles.e.derykus at boeing.com
Mon Jul 25 12:13:43 PDT 2005

>I have to think someone's already written this, but so far I haven't
found it on CPAN.

>I need a module that returns true if a given time fits into a schedule,
where a schedule could look something roughly
>like:

>MoWeFr 10a-2p

>or

>29June 8a-5p

>I don't care what the format of the schedule is; happy to use just
about anything that is vaguely legible to a human.

>I need something that can do combinations of:

>Day of the week
>Time of day
>Fixed dates
>Xth Fooday of the month (3rd Fridays, first Mondays,.)

>Anyone know of such a beast, or do I need to write it myself?

You might take a look at Date::Manip which can parse dates in arbitary
format, take
deltas, sing, dance...

However, I don't know how far the "arbitaray allowance" will stretch.
Your "MoWeFr"
May well gag it. Probably still worth checking. It's the biggest (and
slowest) and
arguably the most versatile of the Date modules though. Date::Calc is
also very big
and capable too.

HTH,
--