SPUG: Get the local IP address?

Brian Hatch bri at ifokr.org
Sat Jul 23 08:15:30 PDT 2005

> This script is going to run only in a controlled situation.
> It's part of my system imaging process, which requires that the system
> is registered in DNS by the IP of the network card which is in use,
> and there will be only one NIC in use during the build process. Which
> in turn gets it's IP from reserved DHCP.
>
> So, even though it may have multiple interfaces it will have only one
> address assigned, and that address will have only one hostname
> associated with it. I need that hostname so I can set the hostname of
> the system during the build.

Well, if you've got a box that houses the packages while the build is
occuring, slap a program (cgi, or just a daemon vi xinetd, etc) to
tell it who it is.  It just needs to check the client addr of the
socket (which is your being-built box) and that's guarenteed to be
the IP address.

;-)

--
Brian Hatch                  You're having delusions
   Systems and                of grandure again.