SPUG: Old versions of modules with CPAN tool

Peter Darley pdarley at kinesis-cem.com
Mon Jul 11 06:50:11 PDT 2005

	Great!  Thanks for the help.
Peter Darley

-----Original Message-----
From: spug-list-bounces at pm.org [mailto:spug-list-bounces at pm.org]On
Behalf Of Jeremy Mates
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: SPUG: Old versions of modules with CPAN tool

* Peter Darley <pdarley at kinesis-cem.com>
> I'm trying to get a new server to have the same versions of modules on
> it as my old servers. I can't find a way to get the CPAN shell to
> install an older version of a module; is there such a way? If not, is
> it likely to be OK just copying parts of the perl module directories
> over to the new machine?

>From the CPAN shell:

install L/LD/LDS/CGI.pm-2.45.tar.gz

Modules can be deleted by the author, so you may want a local copy in
some fashion (source tarballs, render to a vendor package system, feed
a local Software Depot). Copying bits around can work, though can
easily lead to odd problems (whoops, forgot to copy X) and scary
unmaintainable systems.

Seattle Perl Users Group Mailing List
     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org