SPUG: Old versions of modules with CPAN tool

Peter Darley pdarley at kinesis-cem.com
Mon Jul 11 06:50:11 PDT 2005

Jeremy,
	Great!  Thanks for the help.
Peter Darley

-----Original Message-----
From: spug-list-bounces at pm.org [mailto:spug-list-bounces at pm.org]On
Behalf Of Jeremy Mates
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 11:24 AM
To: SPUG
Subject: Re: SPUG: Old versions of modules with CPAN tool

* Peter Darley <pdarley at kinesis-cem.com>
> I'm trying to get a new server to have the same versions of modules on
> it as my old servers. I can't find a way to get the CPAN shell to
> install an older version of a module; is there such a way? If not, is
> it likely to be OK just copying parts of the perl module directories
> over to the new machine?

>From the CPAN shell:

install L/LD/LDS/CGI.pm-2.45.tar.gz

Modules can be deleted by the author, so you may want a local copy in
some fashion (source tarballs, render to a vendor package system, feed
a local Software Depot). Copying bits around can work, though can
easily lead to odd problems (whoops, forgot to copy X) and scary
unmaintainable systems.